- 2 Tbsp canola oil or vegetable oil, or any other neutral oil
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose or gluten-free flour
- 4 tablespoons chili powder *not cayenne!
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 whole onion diced
- 1.5 pounds chicken diced, 1/2 in
- 4 oz diced green chiles canned
- 15.5 oz black beans canned, drained & rinsed
- 8 flour tortillas
- 3 cups mexican cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
Measure and set aside chili powder, garlic powder, salt, cumin, and oregano.
Heat oil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Add flour and whisk together over the heat for one minute.
Stir in the reserved seasonings. Then gradually add in the stock, whisking constantly to remove lumps. Reduce heat and simmer 10-15 minutes until slightly thickened.
Use immediately or refrigerate or store up to 3 days.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a medium high pan, saute onion until translucent.
Add diced chicken and green chiles, and season with salt and pepper. Saute, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through. Remove from heat and set aside.
Assemble: Lay out a tortilla, and spread two tablespoons of sauce over the surface of the tortilla. Add beans in a line down the middle of the tortilla, then add in a spoonful of the chicken mixture, then sprinkle with 1/3 cup cheese. Roll up tortilla and place in a greased 9 x 13-inch baking dish. Repeat with the remaining ingredients.
Spread the remaining enchilada sauce and cheese on top of the tortillas.
Bake uncovered for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and garnished with chopped fresh cilantro.